Upgrade to CentOS 7

September 26th, 2017 by Charlie Harris

In my post about Ansible at the beginning of the year, I mentioned that we made the decision to migrate all of our virtual servers to CentOS 7 from SuSe Enterprise. The process is coming along steadily and we now have all of our HTML production and test servers, as well as our application test server, moved over to CentOS 7.3.

Other than a few differences, the change has been very smooth and easy. The major issues have not been related to changing distros, but some of the packages. The move from Apache 2.2 to 2.4 was probably the biggest just due to the syntax changes. Most of those are fairly minor though just to get the sites up and running again under the new version.

The main reason for the move was that we wanted to align ourselves more with what TAMUIT was moving toward. They have been migrating a lot of things over to CentOS as well, and we decided that now was a good time. A lesser reason was that when it comes to help, especially online, there is just so much more out there for Redhat/Fedora/CentOS than SuSe.  Most of the time this wasn’t a real issue, but every once in a while we ran into things that where much harder to troubleshoot in SuSe than if we had been using a Redhat or Ubuntu based distribution.

I will miss zypper though. I still think that overall it is a much better package manager than most any other one I’ve used. Yum is not bad now that I’m getting more used to it, but zypper just had so much built into it that makes things just a little easier to do and find.

Overall we are happy with the change and look forward to continuing with CentOS for the foreseeable future.

Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 Systems