Google Maps – Categories

September 26th, 2016 by Erick Beck

I have been learning more and more about how the map entries work as I get deeper into this project.  One thing that winds up being much more important than I had first thought was the Primary Category.

When you edit an event you are given the choice of a Primary Category and as many additional categories as you wish.  Whatever you add to the Primary Category will be shown on the public location entry.  I had always thought this was largely cosmetic – I had never clicked on that link myself any time I had looked up a location.  But, if you do click the link that will act as a filter and the search column will show you all of the other nearby entries with that categorization.

This, then, makes choice of category important.  We do want it to be relevant to what our location is, but at the same time we want some consistency that will allow our locations to be cross listed in this sort of search.  So the College of Medicine, for example, might be better served by using “College” as its primary category and “Medical School” as a secondary category rather than the other way around.

Categories are not completely open ended – Google has a select list of allowed categories (which unfortunately are not – to my knowledge anyway – published anywhere.)  This means that we will have to create our own consistency with a common set us category entries.

Monday, September 26th, 2016 Campus Maps