Emergency Site Now Mobile Friendly

April 19th, 2012 by Erick Beck

A few weeks ago I was in a meeting where we were discussing how to make websites viewable on mobile devices. Since we had already started incorporating responsive design into the last few sites that we have released I mentioned those as examples. After listening to the list, one of my colleagues asked if the university emergency site had been done as well. I had to admit that it was not, and after looking at it on my phone I also had to concede that it was not terribly mobile-friendly either.

While incorporating mobile views into our sites is an ongoing process — we are adding it to new site designs, not retrofitting old sites to it for the sake of being responsive — that really isn’t a good excuse when talking about the emergency site. By its very nature that is one site that should be easily viewable on any device.

I therefore asked Rebecca to look over the page code and add the appropriate style sheet changes to make it mobile friendly. This was a great first project for her, as it let her start with a small project, learn the concepts of responsive design, and see it through to fruition quickly. We didn’t completely rewrite the page in order to include the “mobile first” concept, but the site code was simple enough that overwriting the default in order to create the mobile view wasn’t a big deal.

So I am pleased to announce both that Rebecca has completed her first project and is becoming an important member of our team, and that the university emergency site is now mobile friendly.

Thursday, April 19th, 2012 CSS, Mobile Web