Two thousand events on the university calendar

September 15th, 2010 by mdmcginnis

Last week the Texas A&M University calendar passed a major milestone: two thousand events posted since it was launched.

Now that anyone with a NetID can submit events (and nearly 600 people have), we’re able to give the world a better idea of what’s happening at Texas A&M, in all its variations and colors. Instead of just wondering what a certain mysterious department really does, visitors can now view performances, lectures and seminars, campus-wide, in one place. I’m waiting to hear stories of large donations or interdisciplinary discoveries that began simply by reading the university calendar. I can imagine:

<dream>
“I had never even heard of the technique before, but while lacing up my running shoes one morning when I was a freshman, a seminar on the calendar happened to catch my eye. And that led to completely changing my major, publishing my book four years later, the dedication of this new institute which I was privileged to fund, and… well, you know the rest.”
— Class of 2017
</dream>

Well anyway, here are some current facts about the university calendar:

• The university calendar system now includes more than 150 departmental calendars, from every college, about 60 of them with active contributions.
  • According to Google Analytics, the calendar was visited 214,002 times in the past month. People viewed 3,525 calendar pages.
  • Some of our most popular events so far this semester have been Freshman Convocation, Gig ‘Em Week, and MSC Open House. And of course, everybody wanted to know, “When is the first day of class?” (More than 21,000 people searched for academic calendar information).
  • Events featured on the A&M home page are viewed by 1.4 million people every month – that’s some exposure! But if you want your part of it, you have to submit your events – we don’t create the listings ourselves.

That doesn’t mean we don’t have more work to do. We still have important “information gaps,” where visitors are searching for events that haven’t been submitted but which they expected to find. As I said, each department is responsible for submitting its own events. If you hear of missing events, tell the sponsoring group to contact us, so we can explain how to add them. We’re still spreading the word about the calendar to more departments and more people.

• It’s easy to add and edit events.
  • Any university department, division or institute can get their own calendar.
  • You can customize and display your calendar events on your web pages.

You can read more online about how the university calendar works. Contact the University Webmaster Office if you’re interested in getting started as a calendar contributor or administrator.

Tags: ,

Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 Calendar