Off to eduWeb

July 22nd, 2010 by Erick Beck

Today will be my last day in the office before heading out to eduWeb in Chicago next week. It will be a great opportunity to talk to other folks from across the country and compare what we are doing to them.

We are continuing to work on the new www.tamu.edu website, and I’m hoping that by time time I get back we’ll have enough of it ready to start showing stakeholders on campus.  There is still time to send any suggestions our way for elements that you want to see added/expanded/altered.

One of the dilemmas I’m currently trying to tackle is how to handle the campus services page.  We’re such a huge institution that making it all-inclusive could easily be a site unto itself.  So I’ll ask the same thing that I did for the phone number list – does anybody actually use the pages currently at http://www/home/services/ or do you just use the search engine to find what you’re looking for?

Tags: , , ,

Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 www.tamu.edu

2 Comments to Off to eduWeb

1. Why not just leave the pages in place, but make the search bar more prominent on the services page? Encourage it’s use but offer the alternative of going through the links.

2. Zack on July 22nd, 2010
  3. Maybe I’m an old timer, who knew the days when yahoo was a directory more than a search site. But I agree with Zack.

To a percentage of users, the directory of links is useful? even though most prefer search.

4. Monty on August 25th, 2010