Facebook Revisited

April 14th, 2010 by Erick Beck

Last time I mentioned that I had given a presentation on Facebook to the Brand Council and that one of my points was to install Google Analytics and combine it with the information Facebook already provides to get a better idea of your site usage.  One of my other points was that you must actually look at and use this data rather than just passively collecting it and never looking to see what it shows. So here is a brief rundown of President Loftin’s Facebook site and the analytics behind it.

I didn’t get analytics installed for the launch of the site, which might actually be a good thing since the initial traffic spike of the first few days won’t skew the numbers.  While our total number of visits is in the acceptable range, the graph of  number of visits vs. time shows a clear pattern. Most of our traffic is generated on Tuesdays, the day that Dr. Loftin’s weekly report goes out.  The fact that each successive Tuesday has so far seen more and more hits is an encouraging sign.

Google Analytiscs chart of Dr. Loftin's Facebook page - # of vists vs. time in days

I’d like to go more in depth, but the fact that we’re still collecting the first round of data is hindering a  proper analysis.  As we collect more data I’ll get any trends that we find posted for your information.

To follow up on the gifts application that we added to Dr. Loftin’s Facebook page, I’m happy to say that it has been moderately successful.  In the week that it has been online 830 different Aggie gifts have been sent.  At least a few people have been heavy users of the application because 5 of the 11 hidden gifts have been unlocked.  By far the favorites have been the bow ties, so we will continue to add special bonuses to keep the interaction going.  This does, I believe, serve as clear evidence that adding ways of interacting with our social media sites increases their value.

Tags: , , , ,

Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 Analytics, Social Media