Whole University Going Mobile

March 23rd, 2010 by Erick Beck

We are happy to say that one of the most common questions we get asked now involves how other parts of the university can get involved in the mobile web scene. Whether it be through the creation of apps or mobile web sites, everyone is starting to realize that mobile is the wave of the future.

I want to use this momentum to advocate we continue and even accelerate this trend. Bob has been doing a great job in keeping our mobile website constantly up to date with new features, but a lot of the university’s success will depend on the contributions of others on campus.

The library has the beginnings of a mobile site with plans for future expansion, and over the last few weeks we have been talking to Soil & Crop Sciences.  The Department of Entomology has also expressed an interest and I’ve been told might have something for publication soon.

With all these organizational mobile sites coming online, I think it is important that we have links off to all of them, much like we do for our RSS feeds.   So if your department or office has a mobile site in mind, let us know once you have it ready and we’ll provide a central hub to start linking to these sites.

Tags: , ,

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 Mobile Web

2 Comments to Whole University Going Mobile

1. Erick,

I think this is becoming a “must”.

Are there any tips or guidelines that you would like to provide for creating a mobile web site on campus?

2. Mike Green on March 26th, 2010
  3. John and I are putting together a proposal to present this exact topic at HighEdWeb this year. I suspect that whether or not we actually present we’ll post our ideas here as we get them more thought out.

4. Erick on April 1st, 2010