TAMU News Website

February 1st, 2010 by Erick Beck

Two weeks after deploying the new TAMU News website I’m experiencing something rather novel.  Usually when I spend as much time developing a site as we spent on this one I’m burned out on it by the time it goes to publication — while everyone is is celebrating a fresh new site I’m already tired of looking at it.  Just the opposite has happened with the news site though; I have actually come to like it more after it went live than I did before.

I think part of this was that during development I was dealing with static content and graphics.  One of the best parts of the new site, though, is the equally new focus we’ve taken on using high quality photos and graphics for all elements of the site.  With each element changing on a weekly, and even daily, basis this means that the site continues to seem fresh rather than quickly getting stale.

Using the power of WordPress and RSS feeds, we were also able to add the “Texas A&M in the News” and the “Around Campus” sections, as well as the “Engineering Works” podcast series,  further making the site more dynamic and interesting.  We pushed WordPress to its limits, many times hacking a plugin and even writing our own PHP functions to do what we needed to get done.

The end result was well worth the effort though. Getting this site out the door as the first project of the year bodes well. As I look at some of the other projects,  we have really cool stuff lined up for this year.  If we can avoid getting sidetracked by other out-of-the-blue demands we should be able to make some big improvements on the university web presence.

Tags: , ,

Monday, February 1st, 2010 News