YouTube channel changes

May 26th, 2009 by tamuwebmaster

For those of us who meddle and work with YouTube, the Google/YouTube developers have been working on an overhaul of the “channels” . They’ve cleaned it up quite a bit and have added the opportunity to customize a little bit more.

You can see the new layout in our Texas A&M channel, and you’ll notice how it has changed with the channel info now being below the video and playlists running down the side. It is considerably cleaner looking b/c they have streamlined the options. I like the ability to create your own “theme” for the channel; this allows for greater flexibility to change the look and yet still keep a base customized theme to work from. Also, because of the type of channel we have, we are given a little more flexibility with graphics and branding on the page.

Even though they launched the new look/admin less than a month ago, anyone who has a channel can opt-in. And since they are still in “beta” (which in Google time could be years), you can switch to the beta, and if it’s not what you’re wanting/liking, you can switch back.

More information or to keep up with the changes is available on the YouTube Channels Beta blog.

By the way, since we are using this YouTube channel as a point of entry to A&M and A&M vids, if you’ve got a YT account you’re using, let us know so that we can begin building our subscription/features plan to include more of the campus YT community on this channel.

Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 Multimedia, Podcasting, Social Media

4 Comments to YouTube channel changes

1. I tested the beta last night on my channel and loved it! I love how now you can create your own designs and layouts.

2. Rob on May 28th, 2009
  3. Rob, to answer your other question regarding the graphic, that’s part of our YT EDU program which gives us the ability to add “branded elements”. We’re able to add a channel banner, “connect with us” graphics (like ads), and a video banner as well as brand “content boxes” (this is where we put the copy saying to visit www and itunes.tamu.edu). It is not readily available to the standard channel.

However, what we can do is work with you via subscriptions/favorites to draw your content into our channel as well. It’s pretty flexible.

4. chiv on May 28th, 2009
  5. John,

Thanks for replying…I have been banging my head about that when I tested the beta on my channel that I have personally. Are we on the YT Edu already? I would love to figure out a way to get guest lectures/seminars on this for our department. I have seen other EDU channels uploading stuff that is longer than the 10 minute limit.

6. Rob on May 28th, 2009
  7. Rob, we are on YT EDU and we are trying to work out the best way to get y’all (and other A&M video providers) up online so that you all are able to manage the vidoes and not us having to re-upload them.

We’re also trying to find the right balance between YouTube, iTunes U, and Media Matrix (here on campus). With an eventual redesign of itunes.tamu.edu we are also looking at bringing online what we are calling (for lack of a better term) “podcast central”. This would allow us to create central repository for podcasting and podcast information that would direct people to the right place for videos and podcasts.

8. chiv on June 3rd, 2009