Design Patterns for SOA Development

February 17th, 2009 by tamuwebmaster

When I first started programming I didn’t know anything about design patterns. Then I started reading the Gang of Four design patterns – Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software – which are the foundation for most programming patterns in use today. In a nutshell, Design patterns give programmers a vocabulary for describing common problems and solutions found in software development.

They can also be implemented in code to help others recognize what the code is doing. Finally, design patterns are usually put to the test by expert programmers and either dismissed as invalid (they don’t really solve the problem they are supposed to) or solidified into a widely used pattern.

TechRepublic’s  Programming and Development blog recent post titled SOA design patterns, explored in detail highlights a series of SOA design pattern podcasts to which I have been listening. It has several good resources for people thinking about designing or consuming Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) based applications (mashups, etc).

The first podcast mentions a really neat website that lists out already identified patterns in SOA software. The site, aptly named soapatterns.org, allows users to submit and review ideas for patterns. Through this process design patterns are vetted and then published or dismissed. If you are thinking about and/or actively developing web services take the time to check this site out and see if you can match your efforts against the established patterns. You won’t be sorry.

During my development if I veer too far off the path of common patterns, I typically try and bring my efforts back around. This makes my code more resilient to change and helps me avoid common mistakes that might otherwise turn a successful project into a failure story.

Tags: , , ,

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 Campus Maps, Miscellaneous