Helping out the new Facebook crowd

February 3rd, 2009 by tamuwebmaster

After remarking to some folks about how much of their profile was public, I ran into a couple of recently published posts on Facebook profiles and how “public is public”. I’ve also been alerted to some staff and faculty accounts that while I’m not friends of, they are quite public.

As we all know, once you are on, it’s more than just who can see your profile. It can include you being tagged in photos (like those ones from high school or college) that a friend posts, or searches from Google and Facebook search, and even what news you want showing up on others “walls”.

If you have colleagues or coworkers who are using Facebook or wanting to setup a Facebook account, these two articles are good starting points for them to understand how important it is to be cognizant of how much is or can be made public about them.

So without further ado, here’s the 2 articles:

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 Social Media

7 Comments to Helping out the new Facebook crowd

1. I’m constantly amazed by what others are putting out there. The only way to approach putting anything online is to assume that eventually it will be accessible to all.

2. Nicholas Roznovsky on February 3rd, 2009
  3. When I realized that anybody in the Texas A&M network could see my Facebook profile, I changed my privacy profile to Friends of Friends. The Texas A&M network is very big.

4. mdmcginnis on February 3rd, 2009
  5. Yeah, that’s a good way to think about it. But we could go with that across most any electronic communication. I once interviewed a lawyer once about e-discovery and e-mail and I think 2 of his points really stand out and can be “translated” to Facebook as well:

1. “Assume that your words or phrases will be taken out of context.” And with people happening in on wall-to-wall conversations or not knowing the relationship of Facebook friends, things can be easily misconstrued.

2. “Write as if the document will not be destroyed.” If you do choose to write something, write it to stand the test of time. Because it will live electronically and show up electronically everywhere, especially with the overlap of applications like Flock, Twitter, FriendFeed, Facebook etc.

6. chiv on February 3rd, 2009
  7. I would also recommend setting up a “professional” facebook profile that is separate from a personal profile if you administer a facebook fan page on behalf of the university. Otherwise, your notes, etc. from your personal profile will get pulled into the facebook fan page.

8. Diane C. McDonald on February 4th, 2009
  9. Hi,

Is it possible for alumni (class of ’95) to get a university email address in order to join the A&M network on Facebook? I have long since forgotten my old school email. Thanks for any advise. -chris

10. chris n on February 11th, 2009
  11. Chris:

You are right in that to access a “college” network you have to have a valid university account (according to Facebook). They also say that a valid alumni account will work too. Facebook says, ” If you’ve already graduated, college alumni email accounts work too.” If that is the case, then you could set up an alumni email over at the Former Students site at http://www.aggienetwork.com which would give you a “Something@aggienetwork.com” alumni account.

12. chiv on February 11th, 2009
  13. Facebook is spam free social network, it has security and don’t allow spammers to misuse it.

14. Facebook on August 18th, 2009