The Most Important Step

December 9th, 2008 by Erick Beck

Many of you are using the time going into the break to redesign your departmental/office websites.  If there is anything we can do to help — from suggestions on organization to coding to university branding — please let us know.  We will be publishing the new version of the Brand Guide shortly and will be happy to show you any differences that might exist before you publish a site.

One question that we have been getting a lot of is “why does this part of my page look strange?”  Most of the time it has been a CSS issue, but there is a way to be sure.  Please, Please, Please use the W3C HTML validator, either our local version (great for checking those development sites within the university firewall) or the W3C original version.  Valid HTML will solve 95% of all of your problems.  If you validate the code and the page still looks strange, try the CSS validator (we hope to have a local copy of this as well before the holiday break.)  Clean code is not just good manners, it is the first step in making sure your page works the way you intended it to.

Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 CSS, HTML

2 Comments to The Most Important Step

1. How do we contact you? I stumbled across this page in an effort to help encourage the re-do of our web page. I was looking for the “Branding Guide” and found one for print but not web (I know its not out yet) I update the mars page and know some advanced code but not much. I would really like to bring our page current and make it look better than the student designed that I inherited…

2. Michael Green on December 17th, 2008
  3. Howdy Michael. We’d love to help. You can contact us at webmaster at tamu dot edu.

4. mdmcginnis on December 17th, 2008