Map Maker, Map Maker, Make Me a Map!

October 6th, 2008 by tamuwebmaster

Okay, the title is a little corny but currently I do feel like the map maker of sorts. I’ve been researching GIS standards and web mapping solutions for a couple of months now and I’m finally ready to start coding the second version of the campus maps project.

But really, I don’t want to be the only one involved in this project, as it serves the A&M community as a whole. The week before the Fall 2008 semester started, we had 16,000 hits a day on the campus maps site. That’s wonderful, and it means people genuinely need and use this application.

Therefore, I’ll be making a series of blog posts in the coming week detailing the architecture, design, and functionality I hope to provide in this version. One of the most important things I noticed while looking at our analytics was how many people link to our map. I will also be sending out emails to the sites we know link to us inviting them to provide feedback and suggestions.

I’d also like to make a call out to web developers across campus and ask them to start a dialog with us. We want integration and data feeds, not just old static content we can come up with! If you maintain information that is suitable for a web map, please contact us and we will work with you to create a live feed or API to get your content on our web map. More on this in a later post…

We need the community to really rally around this project and provide us with ideas and connections for the map to be a huge success. The better the content, the more useful the map becomes. I invite everyone with ideas to email us.

Monday, October 6th, 2008 Campus Maps