Never too old to learn a new trick

September 19th, 2008 by Erick Beck

While looking up the answer to a question that arose at the Accessibility Showcase today I rediscovered the wonders that are on the W3Schools site. They have a comprehensive explanation of the entire (X)HTML protocol…and I discovered a tag that I had never encountered before, the OPTGROUP tag.

It is actually a very cool tag too. It sets up logical divisions within form pulldown OPTION inputs. How many times have you wanted to put titles in the pulldown but couldn’t because they were selectable and would therefore screw up your input values in the form’s target-page code? No more, OPTGROUP lets you insert the titles natively with no danger of them being selected. Example:

Volvo
Saab

Mercedes
Audi

By the way, they not only offer this type of information on HTML syntax but also on just about every technology that the W3C is involved in. Take a refresher browse through the site, I’m sure you’ll find something new yourself.

Friday, September 19th, 2008 Miscellaneous

3 Comments to Never too old to learn a new trick

1. Whoa. I didn’t know that either. Nifty!

2. Stephanie Leary on September 19th, 2008
  3. I’m changing some of my Select boxes right now. Great post! Thanks.

4. Mark Mace on September 19th, 2008
  5. Whenever I want to look up a tag, even a Javascript command, I turn first to my Norwegian friends at W3Schools.

6. Michael McGinnis on October 6th, 2008