Social Media Baby Steps

August 4th, 2008 by Erick Beck

We are starting, slowly but surely, to implement some of the social media ideas that came from my conference a few weeks ago. Most of the changes you see will be small, perhaps barely perceptible on their own, but will add up to create a significant change in the campus web presence.

First we updated some of the links in the future and current student and the camps life sections of WWW to bring desired content closer to the forefront. This week I added “Add This” social bookmarking tags to the TAMU News story templates so that visitors can bookmark and share stories. Accompanying this we are starting to collect news articles from third party publications into our own set of bookmarks, which we can later share as a “Texas A&M in the News” feature section.

We are also looking at microformats. I have converted our own departmental contact list to hcard format. I took this one step further and have been in discussions with CIS about publishing the campus directory search returns in hcard format as well. These haven’t been published yet, but I have seen early versions of their code and it looks promising.

Expect more to come as we incorporate these ideas into both new and existing sites.

Monday, August 4th, 2008 Ongoing Projects