Conference Followup

July 21st, 2008 by Erick Beck

I’m back from the conference and starting to wade through the mountain of information and request that came through while I was gone. It was a worthwhile trip, though, I picked up a lot of tips and pointers at the conference and met a lot of folks from other universities doing pretty much the same things we are. So good news, we are not alone in what we face!

I went to the conference with an eye toward taking more technical content sessions, but it quickly became apparent that the underying theme of the week was examining social media and how it relates to higher ed. Over the next few days I’ll distill and pass along some of the ideas that I saw.

The first day was the only semi-technical session that I attended. It was a full-day interactive talk with Eric Meyer (who needs no introduction) and Stephanie Sullivan (who wrote the CSS components for Dreamweaver.) The first half of the day was pretty slow, covering turning lists into navigation items and using faux collumns, but the afternoon picked up with Eric showing us how to make bar graphs and timelines using CSS. In an end-of-the-day extended session he also covered microformats, which got me thinking how we could use those here on campus. More on those after I’ve mulled them over a bit…

Day two was broken down into the keynote and three other sessions. I’ll cover each in subsequent posts this week.

Monday, July 21st, 2008 Miscellaneous