emergency.tamu.edu and TAMU-lite

May 13th, 2008 by Erick Beck

Those of you who were able to attend or view online last week’s webinar on 911 emergency websites will remember that the primary lesson stressed was to be prepared by having a “lite” version of your site ready to go in case an emergency should occur.

We are releasing this new template and using it as the basis of the new emergency.tamu.edu website. Should an emergency ever occur this template will also replace the university home page at www.tamu.edu. This template is only 13K in size, and in order to minimize server calls consists of only three files: the index.html file, the CSS file, and a Texas A&M logo image.

One of the other points stressed in the webinar was to spread the traffic load across servers. While we still envision www.tamu.edu being the primary hub that people will visit, we want to send visitors needing more detailed information to emergency.tamu.edu and other servers.

Emergency preparedness is a process. This is only the first step, but it gets us going in the right direction.

Tuesday, May 13th, 2008 www.tamu.edu

2 Comments to emergency.tamu.edu and TAMU-lite

1. Hey all.

I haven’t thought deeply abou tthe design yet, but I think it is very clean. So clean, in fact, that it activated one of my hot button issues immediately: Phone numbers. 🙂 Sorry–they just jumped out at me!

I noticed that there is no easy reference to area codes (979). I also noticed that the Saftey Hotline has letters instead of numbers in it. I’m in the minority, I know, but I send less than one text message a month so SAFE doesn’t mean anything to me in numbers which is what I need to dial something fast.

I think the page you have presented incorporate lots of what was in the webcast. Is it worth having a “Press” or “Parents” link? If I were trying to find my child I’m not sure I could do it if cell phones were not functioning (that has happened on several campus disasters) and I had just this page to look at. Of course, I can’t really say what would help–I’m not sure what information might provide any sort of comfort to a concerned parent other than talking to the people they were concerned about.

Anyway, just my first reactions. Clean, and please put area codes and numbers up.

2. Stephen Balfour on May 15th, 2008
  3. You bring up some good points. One thing to keep in mind is that the content currently on emergency.tamu.edu is only a “placeholder” for when there is no emergency taking place. Should anything actually happen we have several modules that we would slide into both the right and left column that would provide links to more relevant and timely information.

4. Erick on May 15th, 2008