OSCON 2008

April 22nd, 2008 by tamuwebmaster

Everything is now set for my trip to Portland, OR for this years OSCON. This is a convention that has been hosted by O’Reilly media for the last 10 years where people involved in the open source community can come together and talk shop. This includes people from the PHP, Ruby, Java, Linux, Perl, and Python communities, as well as many more. We do quite a bit of PHP development here and I’m looking forward to meeting some of the best in the field to find out where PHP 6 is going.

The first two days will be split into 4 half day tutorial sessions. The session I have signed up for are below

• Testing with PHPUnit and Selenium
  • PHP Extension writing tutorial
  • PHP: Architecture, Scalability and Security
  • Creating Location Aware Web 2.0 Applications on an Open Source Geospatial Platform

I hope to bring some of this back and blog about what I learn there. I’ve already had some exposure to Selenium and I’ll definitely be blogging about that later. I’m excited to get started with PHPUnit as I’ve already seen amazing progress in my code using NUnit with .NET projects. I’m also excited about the last tutorial dealing with geospatial information. No promises, but we might see that popping into the campus maps, calendars, and many other applications in the future.

Finally, the architecture tutorial is import because I’ve seen all too many hacked together PHP projects and I want to get started doing PHP right. PHP is a strong language with a bad rap for security. I think a lot of that bad press can go away with proper planning and security.

The last three days of the conference are open sessions on everything from databases to using open source in business. I’m still trying to figure out what I’m going to attend!

Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 Miscellaneous, Ongoing Projects

1 Comment to OSCON 2008

1. Ben,

Though the PHP Extension writing tutorial may be interesting to some, I didn’t find it to be very interesting as it goes into how to write true extensions, e.g. the stuff you compile into PHP or as a PHP module that’s written in C. If there’s something else that’s more interesting to you, I’d suggest you do that as opposed to this course.

2. Chris Weldon on April 24th, 2008