CMS Progress

April 2nd, 2008 by mdmcginnis

It’s been a while since we’ve mentioned the CMS and we don’t want to keep you in the dark. We’ve been doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work to get the content management system ready for many other groups to use, and to make it as easy to use as possible.

The CMS seems to be living up to its promise of being fairly simple for webmasters and content creators. Because it’s so flexible, there’s a lot I need to learn as the administrator that nobody else will need to worry about.

Once I got the software installed on the development and production servers, with the exception of a few learning pains, the process seems relatively painless. I’ve used the CMS to duplicate some of our Marketing and Communications Division pages, and guess what – they look just like the originals.

As I experiment with the system, I always have in mind how someone would train end users to create Web pages with it. I keep asking myself, “What’s the easiest way to do what I’m trying to do? What’s the easiest way to explain how to do it?”

We have a 4-day training session from Percussion coming up next week. This should dramatically speed up our process of learning the system and allow us to start opening the service to a few pilot projects in May.

Wednesday, April 2nd, 2008 CMS