Ben Floyd Joins the Team

January 29th, 2008 by tamuwebmaster

Erick asked me to make a little post about myself, so here goes nothing. My name is Ben Floyd and I joined the Marketing & Communications IT team in late January. Before moving over here I worked at CIS Customer Applications for a little over a year.

I have a background in network and application security, network management, and programming in .NET 2.0, PHP, C/C++, and JavaScript. I also have experience working with Java and a few other languages, but not enough to say that I know them in depth. I’m right at home in *nix or windows environments (and working on becoming more Mac friendly), so my view on the best solution for the job is not tainted by any one platform or language. I have also been quite heavy into Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) and web services lately, and I hope to apply that here to put some fuel on the collaborative fire so to speak.

I have a passion for technology and knowledge that drives me to learn everything I can. With respect to my new position, I hope to bring that passion to my team and the community as a whole, and make A&M a leading example of what a great web presence can be and do for a university environment. I encourage collaboration on campus, and hope that everyone can see the university as a single enterprise environment rather than a collection of isolated silos of information and expertise. Expertise has its place of course, but sharing that expertise makes everything about it more valuable in the end.

Some of the specific areas I want to concentrate on are integration of disparate systems on campus, code sharing and commenting, security and testing, and modern standards for web and application development.

I am also a family man and my wife and I just had our first baby in September 2007. My daughter’s name is Kaylyn, and I learn as much from her as she does from me. And worry not, for I am already teaching her the ways of CSS and N-tier architecture! If she does become a programmer (she’s pretty good on ‘My First Laptop’), she’ll have a good foundation to build on.

I invite anyone to send me comments or questions about myself and the projects I’m working on here. I also enjoy hearing new ideas and ways to better the web presence on campus and would also like to invite anyone with ideas about improvements to contact our team as well. As a final note, I want to give back to this community as much as it has given to me.

Tuesday, January 29th, 2008 www.tamu.edu