Code Libarary

July 25th, 2007 by Erick Beck

For any readers of the blog who aren’t on the UWeb listserv (and you really ought to be…) here is a post I sent today. Please post comments to the listserv rather than here so we can keep the discussion as self contained as possible.

Yesterday’s discussion of the CAS code has brought to the forefront one of the plans that I’ve wanted to throw out for discussion — that of a shared code library for webmasters and developers across campus. It would be incredibly useful to have a repository that we can all go to, borrow from, and have confidence in. One of my goals on my own projects is to globalize as much code as possible and share it among my sites, and the concept really should be implemented on the larger all-university level as well.

Hosting this on a blog or wiki format makes sense to me to allow for ease of peer review and revision through post comments. A collaborative process like this will lead to solutions which are much more robust and which can become standard across campus.

I’m willing to set up another WordPress site on our blog server to host it, but to be honest if anybody more experienced with blog administration wants to volunteer I’ll be more than happy to let them do so, since we’d probably want to talk about LDAP authentication and other features that I’ve never had to mess with. I can also see advantages in hosting is elsewhere so that it explicitly remains a public offering from and by the campus developer community rather than coming from any official source.

Any other ideas on how we can best accomplish this?

Wednesday, July 25th, 2007 Miscellaneous

2 Comments to Code Libarary

1. Erick–the link to uweb gives a 404…

2. Pam on July 26th, 2007
  3. Sigh, my apologies. See my previous post at http://webmaster.tamu.edu/?p=46

4. Erick on July 26th, 2007