System Architecture

June 20th, 2007 by Erick Beck

Our new toys are here!  Er… that is to say, the app servers we ordered have arrived.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, the environment available for web development here has been lacking for quite some time.  We have taken the first step in updating the architecture with the purchase and installation of a pair of Sun X4100s for use as a primary production webserver capable of hosting several separate hosts and (equally important) a mirrored development platform.

For those of you interested, these machines will be running SUSE linux with PHP5 as our primary development environment.  I have a pretty detailed customization list, so it’ll still take a while to get them up, but I’m excited at the opportunities that are now open to us.

We also got a new database machine.  Because there are so many legacy apps over here on MS SQL I’m reluctantly making that our primary database platform.  We’ll configure the PHP engine on the new machines to connect via the sybase libraries, but it is going to mean database connectivity to www.tamu.edu is going to be an issue.  (Teaser: which of course implies that at some point I need to post the plans for WWW.)

Wednesday, June 20th, 2007 Ongoing Projects, www.tamu.edu